Giving and Receiving in Japanese Ageru, Kureru, Morau (あげる、くれる、もらう)

In English we just use one word "give". But in Japanese, there are two words which means "give" with the different use, we will learn it soon in this lesson. Today, we are going to learn 3 Japanese verbs on giving and receiving. Are you ready to learn, learners? Yeah, let's begin.

The 3 verbs we are learning today is あげる (ageru) which means "to give"、くれる (kureru) which means "to give" too and もらう (morau) which means "to receive". In this post we will learn how to use those 3 verbs and what is the difference between ageru and kureru, let's start from the first one.

あげる (ageru) "to give"

The first word is あげる (ageru) which means to give something to someone, ageru is a group 2 verb, so the conjugation is like group 2 verbs. Use this verb if you (the speaker) are the giver. Ageru is a verb for "to give" seen from the speaker of point of view. Let's look at the following example:

formula: giver + は + receiver + に + noun + を + あげる

Japanese people often drop the subject, in this case, the subject will always be the giver and also the speaker.
私は友達にプレゼントをあげます
watashi wa tomodachi ni purezento o agemasu
I will give a present to my friend
母にお土産をあげました
haha ni omiyage o agemashita
I gave my mother souvenirs
これはお兄さんにあげる
kore wa onii-san ni ageru
I'll give this to my brother
パパはママに指輪をあげました (incorrect)
papa wa haha ni yubiwa o agemashita
papa gave mama a ring

Pay attention, the last sentence is incorrect, because the giver is not the speaker, except the speaker is papa himself.

くれる (kureru) "to give"

This verb has the same meaning with the above verb, and this verb is also a group 2 verb (ichidan doushi), but they have different uses, while ageru is used when the speaker is a giver, and kureru is used when the speaker is not the giver, the giver is the third person or listener. Example:

Formula : giver + は + receiver + に + noun + を + くれる

パパはママに指輪をくれました
papa wa mama ni yubiwa o kuremashita
my dad gave my mom a ring
友達は私にプレゼントをくれた
tomodachi wa watashi ni purezento o kureta
my friend gave me a present

You can change the word order between noun and receiver, of course with the particle too, it does not matter. Example:
友達はプレゼントを私にくれた
tomodachi wa purezento o watashi ni ageta
my friend gave a present to me
パパは指輪をママにくれました
papa wa yubiwa o mama ni kuremashita
my dad gave a ring to my mom

もらう (morau) "to receive"

Fortunately, there is only one verb which means "to receive" in Japanese^^, and morau is a group 1 verb. Use this verb when you or someone else receive something from you or someone else. See the formula and the example:

Formula: receiver + は + giver + に / から + noun + を + morau

私は友達にプレゼントをもらいました
watashi wa tomodachi ni purezento o moraimashita
I received a present from my friend
私は友達からプレゼントをもらいました
watashi wa tomodachi kara purezento o moraimashita
I received a present from my friend
ママはパパから指輪をもらいました
mama wa papa kara yubiwa o moraimashita
mama received a ring from papa
母はお土産をもらった
haha wa omiyage o moratta
my mother received souvenirs

Ok, those were the 3 verbs that are often used for giving and receiving in Japanese language, I hope you understood my explanation^^, If you still not, feel free to comment and I will help you and explain as clearly as I can^^, and don't forget to share with your friends, Ok, till then you take care, have a great day, mata aou ne(^_^)/.

1 Response to "Giving and Receiving in Japanese Ageru, Kureru, Morau (あげる、くれる、もらう)"

コメントを忘れないでね^^、don't forget to leave a comment^^)/