Japanese Grammar ~nakucha, ~nakya (~なくちゃ、~なきゃ)

This is the abbreviated versions of grammar for obligation ~nakute wa dame/ikenai/naranai and ~nakereba naranai. These abbreviations only used in colloquial language.

Grammar ~nakucha (~なくちゃ)

JLPT Level: -
Meaning: must, have to (obligation)
Abbreviation of: ~nakute wa dame/ikenai/naranai (learn it here)
Formula: change the ending in negative te form ては to ちゃ. Example: tabenakute wa (食べなくては) becomes tabenakucha (食べなくちゃ), nomanakute wa (飲まなくては) becomes nomanakucha (飲まなくちゃ) after that, you can omit the いけない / ならに / だめ.
Sentence Example:
もう行かなくちゃ
mou ikanakucha
I've to go, now
新しいスマホを買わなくちゃ(だめ)
atarashii sumaho o kawanakucha (dame)
(You/I) have to buy a new smartphone
明日学校に行かなくちゃから、早く寝なくちゃ(いけない)
ashita gakkou ni ikanakucha kara, hayaku nenakucha (ikenai)
(I/You) must sleep early because (I/You) have to work, tomorrow

Grammar ~nakya (~なきゃ)

JLPT Level: -
Meaning: Must
Abbreviation of: ~nakereba naranai (learn it here)
Formula: change the ending kereba (ければ) to kya (きゃ) and you can omit the naranai
自分が頑張らなきゃね
jibun ga ganbaranakya ne
I've got to work hard, eh?
病気だから薬を飲まなくちゃ
byouki dakara kisuri o nomanakucha
Because sick, so (you/I) must take madicine
世界中の人々は死ななきゃ
sekaijuu no hitobito wa shinanakya
People around the world must die

You may also like: Various Grammar for Obligation in Japanese

7 Responses to "Japanese Grammar ~nakucha, ~nakya (~なくちゃ、~なきゃ)"

  1. Thanks for sharing these Japanese grammar lessons with Japanese Examples

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does "kaeru" become "kaeranakucha", instead of "kaerinakucha"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing these lessons, they are really helpful~ ♥

    I've been reading this lesson of yours over and over again but I have something I still can't understand. I really hope you can give me a hint of what it actually means:

    仕事持ち帰らなきゃ行けないくらい忙しいなら
    (Shigoto mochikaeranakya ikenai kurai isogashiinara)

    I'm afraid I'm understanding the sentence in the wrong way, because I can only understand one single part; 仕事持ち帰らなきゃ
    But after that I don't know how to correctly read the sentence. The part which I can't fully understand is this one; 行けないくらい

    After several times of reading your lessons, i think the meaning is;
    If you are busy to the extent that you can't go without taking work home with you ...

    But still I'm not even sure if I can translate it like that.
    I really hope you can understandme and thanks you again~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can You tell me The translation of this: 離れなきゃいい

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can You tell me The translation for this: 離れなきゃいい

    ReplyDelete
  6. kaeru - plain form
    kaeranai - negative form
    kaeranakute - negative -te form
    So the proper sentence would look like this:
    kaeranakute wa dame
    And with the abbreviation (change nakute wa dame -> nakucha):
    kaeranakucha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. Got it!!!

    ReplyDelete

コメントを忘れないでね^^、don't forget to leave a comment^^)/