What Does Douzo (どうぞ) Mean in Japanese Language? and When to Use?

Hi everybody, welcome back to Japanese Learning Online, with me riizhu, today, we are learning the meaning and uses of douzo (どうぞ). Well, let's learn the lesson.

Douzo (どうぞ)

JLPT Level: -
Meaning: please, sure, certainly
Used in imperative sentence. Example:
どうぞ座ってください
douzo suwatte kudasai
please, sit down
こちらへどうぞ
kochira e douzo
this way, please
Used in reply to a request or permission. Example:
鉛筆を貸してもらいませんか
enpitsu o kashite moraimasen ka
would you lend me a pencil
はい、どうぞ
hai, douzo
yes, sure
ここで座ってもいいですか
koko de suwatte mo ii desu ka
may I sit here
はい、どうぞ
hai, douzo
yes, sure
Used to offer something to someone. Example:
お土産、皆さんでどうぞ
omiyage, minasan de douzo
souvenirs, here for everyone
お菓子をどうぞ
okashi o douzo
here's some snacks (for you)
And means "nice to meet you" with yoroshiku onegaishimasu, so that become douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu, used when you are introducing yourself. Example:
僕は黒子です、どうぞよろしくお願いします
boku wa kuroko desu, douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu
I am kuroko, nice to meet you
Ok, that was the meaning and uses of the Japanese word douzo (どうぞ), I hope this simple article can. Alright,I will see you soon in the next post tomorrow, jaa mata ashita ne^^.

2 Responses to "What Does Douzo (どうぞ) Mean in Japanese Language? and When to Use?"

  1. This post helps me a lot. now I can know when to use it in daily life. Thank you^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the practical examples! They helped me out quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete

コメントを忘れないでね^^、don't forget to leave a comment^^)/