How to Say "Like" and "Hate" in Japanese Language

皆さん、日本語の勉強が好きですか(^ム^)、 mina-san, nihongo no benkyou ga suki desu ka? everbody, do you like studying Japanese language?. In this section we are learning how to say "like" and "hate" in Japanese language like the sentence above^^.

Like in Japanese is 好き (suki) and Hate in Japanese is 嫌い (kirai), notice that in English like and hate words are verbs, whereas in Japanese "suki" which means "like" and "kirai" which means "hate" are adjectives, so, their conjugations are same with adjective conjugations in Japanese.
The following is the table of 好き (kirai) and 嫌い (kirai) conjugations^^.

Suki and Kirai conjugations
affirmative negative past tense negative past tense
suki suki janai suki datta suki janakatta
kirai kirai janai kirai datta kirai janakatta

And this is the today's lesson formula to say "like" and "hate":

noun + ga particle + suki desu = I like (noun)
noun + ga particle + kirai desu = I hate (noun)

verb + no / koto + ga + suki desu = I like to do (verb)
verb + no / koto + ga + kirai desu = I hate to do (verb)


Ok, now, let's make some sentences using suki and kirai:
あなたが好きです
anata ga kirai desu
I like you
あなたが嫌いです
anata ga kirai desu
I hate you
As I explained, in Japanese language we may drop the subject, so you don't need to say "watashi wa......." or "anata wa....." as often as in English, and the translation of two sentences can be "I/She/He/We/They/It like(s) you" and "I/She/He/We/They/It hate(s) you according to the context.  です is a copula which attached to the end of noun or adjective to make your sentence to be formal. Next, let's switch to negative sentence.
林檎が好きじゃい
ringo ga suki janai
I don't like apple
苺が嫌いじゃない
ichigo ga kirai janai
I don't hate strawberry
As we learned in adjective conjugation lesson, you can also say 好きではない(suki dewa nai) and 嫌いじゃない(kirai dewa nai), this is more formal than 好きじゃない and 嫌いじゃない.
野菜が好きではない
yasai ga suki dewa nai
I do not like vegetables
雨が嫌いではない
ame ga kirai dewa nai
I do not hate rain
Alright, now, let's say like and hate to a verb, to say you like or hate a verb, you have to attach "no" or "koto" after the verb and before the が particle hmm I think "no" or "koto" like to infinitive in English.
食べることが好きです
taberu koto ga suki desu
I like to eat
飲むことが嫌いです
nomu koto ga kirai desu
I hate to drink
食べるのが好きです
taberu no ga suki desu
I like to eat
飲むのが嫌いです
nomu no ga kirai desu
I hate to drink
日本語を勉強することが好きです
nihongo o benkyou suru koto ga suki desu
I like to study Japanese language
新聞を読むのが好きじゃないです
shinbun o yomu no ga suki janai desu
I don't like to read newspaper

Add 大 (dai) to 好き or 嫌い, this means very like or very hate.
あなたの事が大好きです
anata no koto ga daisuki desu
I very like yourself
彼女の事が大嫌いです
kanojo no koto ga daikirai desu
I very hate herself

You can attach an adverb too, and here are the more complex examples:
アニメを看ることがとても好きです
anime o miru koto ga totemo suki desu
I very like watching anime
漫画を読むのがあまり好きじゃない
manga o yomu no ga amari suki janai
I am not really like reading manga
寿司を食べるのがぜんぜん好きじゃない
sushi o taberu no ga zenzen suki janai
I don't like eating sushi at all
*Note : amari and zenzen adverb always come to negative sentence.

Wuh, finally we finished the lesson^^, did you enjoy the lesson? If you enjoyed the lesson, please share this article to your friends^^ and don't forget to comment^^. Ok, I'll see you tomorrow, jaa mata aou ne.

1 Response to "How to Say "Like" and "Hate" in Japanese Language"

コメントを忘れないでね^^、don't forget to leave a comment^^)/